Thrive in an incredible new place, unlike anything you’ve experienced so far, and create authentic connections that will last a lifetime!
Pursue your interests, while becoming a real global citizen through an AFS structured intercultural learning programme
Leave your mark on the communities you visit and work to create a positive impact for yourself, your local community and the world.
Click on any of the boxes below to find out more and complete a pre-app!
Bites of Culture in China
Human Rights in Argentina
Art and Design in Argentina
Environment and Culture in Costa Rica
Sustainability and Culture in Germany
Contemporary Global Issues in the USA
What is Global Prep?
At AFS we aim to develop responsible citizens through intentional intercultural learning, to inspire you to take action in your community and the world. Our AFS Global Prep programmes nurture discovery and understanding of our own cultural frameworks and the appreciation of cultural differences.
The Global Prep experiences available have been developed for those wanting to fulfill the desire to study or travel abroad with limited time, offering a content-rich itinerary and immersive cultural experiences in another country.
A diverse range of themes form the basis of the programmes, which may focus on one or more topics from STEM (science, technology engineering and mathematics) to history, art to culture, geography to linguistics and volunteering to sustainable development. Importantly, as with all AFS programmes, there is also a structured intercultural learning component, ensuring increased global competence of the participants.
AFS Global Prep programmes can also meet curricular needs for faculty-led programs from schools or universities to form part of a broader internationalisation strategy. This makes them ideal as a tool for schools wishing to increase their PISA scores.
What it means to be a Global Citizen
Globally competent individuals can examine local, global and intercultural issues, understand and appreciate different perspectives and worldviews, interact successfully and respectfully with others, and take responsible action toward sustainability and collective well-being.
Why take part in Global Prep?
- Deep cultural dives in just 1 to 3 weeks
- Develop intercultural awareness and communication skills
- Focus on themes and projects such as sustainability, environmental conservation, or human rights
University and Career Preparation
- Build your resume! 88% of students reported gaining valuable experience for college and career
- Lean into current events or historical perspectives first hand, and bring real world experience back to the classroom
- Cultivate leadership and interpersonal skills like empathy, creativity, and confidence
Safety and Support
- Our network of staff and volunteers support you throughout your journey
- 24-hour assistance and health coverage are ready in case of emergency