What is included…
Your AFS Exchange fee includes…(get ready it’s a bit of a list!)
- Round-trip international travel between Auckland and your host country.
- Travel to and from your host family’s city or town at the begining and end of your programme.
- Comprehensive secondary medical insurance. AFS also offers participants and their families an optional travel benefits package, administered through a third party.
- Placement with a carefully selected volunteer host family who will provide you room, board and guidance. Your host family will arrange a way for you to get to and from your school or community service project each day.
- Placement with a host school or community service organisation. For programs that don’t include school, refer to the program description for other covered activities.
- Orientations prior to departure and after arrival, including room and board during multi-day orientations that occur throughout the program. This may be anywhere between a few nights to a few weeks stay, depending on the program.
- Orientation materials available prior to departure and during your exchange from your online ‘Participant Portal’.
- Visa application information and assistance.
- Host family selection and placement.
- Enrolment at the school you will attend in your host country.
- Access to a support network of AFS professional staff and trained volunteers, at home and in your host country.
- A stylish AFS participant T-shirt.
- Two iconic yellow AFS luggage tags.
- A travel wallet from Orbit Travel to help you keep your tickets, passport, insurance and other important travel documents organised during your journey.
- 24/7, 365 day Emergency assistance by calling 021 707 923. Full in country support and support person.
On Return to New Zealand…
- Optional re-entry orientation consultation
- An official AFS Programme Completion Certificate
- Access to your local chapter where you can stay connected by helping other students who are preparing to go away and support students who’ve come to NZ for their AFS experience.
What’s not Included….
- Domestic travel to and from your hometown to Auckland International Airport.
- Visa and passport fees, these vary, so please check out visa costs by contacting the appropriate embassy. Costs vary between around $500 and $1000, please remember to factor this into the budget and your fundraising.
- Travel costs for in-person appearances – required by some consulates or embassies when applying for your host country’s student visa.
- Travel costs to and form the national pre-departure orientation camp in Wellington. Food and accommodation and camp costs are paid for by AFS.
- Spending money for personal expenses such as gifts, long-distance calls, sundry items, going out with friends, pocket money, etc. Depending on the cost of living in your host country, we recommend you budget about $150-$200 per month.
To find out more, or ask what any of this means, text 022 639 0560 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 600 300