AFS New Zealand is contracted by the Ministry of Education to deliver the Language Immersion Awards (LIA). The Awards are fully funded by the Ministry to improve language teaching and learning in NZ Schools.
Award applications are open to all language teachers currently teaching a second language within the New Zealand curriculum; French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Cook Island Maori, Samoan, Korean, Gagana Tokelau, Tongan and Vagahau Niue.
Email Prue Elwood to get an application form sent to you. Application for Awards available for 2017 close on 21st July 2017. Please email email@example.com for a copy of the application pack.
You must be teaching one or more of these languages: Chinese, Cook Islands Maori, Vagahau Niue, Gagana Tokelau, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Gagana Samoa, Spanish. Applicants must be fully registered New Zealand teachers by date of departure (provisionally registered teachers can apply but must be on track for their registration and fully registered by departure, a letter from your Principal must be included).
You must also:
- Be permanently employed by your school.
- Be teaching the language at school as part of the New Zealand curriculum at the time of application.
- Have the support of the principal and board
- Demonstrate ongoing language development in the school.Have NZ citizenship or residency.
- Available for short or long term Awards, applications from teachers at private schools and those applying for a second LIA will be accepted, but priority is given to first time applicants and teachers from state and integrated schools.
- Past participants must provide additional supporting documentation (as set out in the application).
All Awards are for language, not country destination.
Relief for programme dates is reimbursed to the school through AFS from funding by the Ministry of Education, the funding also covers programme airfares, insurance and related costs, as approved by AFS NZ as being integral to the teacher’s programme. Course fees/conference attendance payable to an agreed amount and pre-approved.
Teacher relief is covered for the programme dates and participants continue to receive their New Zealand salary. Participants are responsible for personal spending money.
Individual programmes may differ in regards to hosting/home stay, programme content, placement and educational institutes.
For more information or an application pack, email: firstname.lastname@example.org follow us on Facebook to keep up to date. Closing date is 21st July 2017
The Awards are funded by the Ministry of Education through the New Zealand Government’s Growth and Innovation Framework and support the development of language skills considered necessary for New Zealand to move toward a globally-connected economy. They also support the Government’s economic, social and cultural goals.