AFS New Zealand manages the Ministry of Education Language Immersion Awards for students who want to study in a country that speaks a language they are studying. Are you….
- Interested in improving your fluency in the language you’re currently studying?
- Wanting to be part of a new school and make friends in a new country?
- Keen to be immersed in a new culture with new places to explore?
- Up for completely new experiences?
Well it’s all possible. Live the semester of a lifetime, as a local, not a tourist. All Awards are fully funded by the Ministry of Education for travel in 2018 for a semester. Awards close on 19 May 2017.
LIA is a chance for you to experience and learn about another culture by living like a local, immersed in the language you’re learning and increasing your fluency. You’ll live with and become part of an AFS host family, make new friends, have a ton of fun!
Apply Now to begin the Language Immersion Award for Student application, there’s one application round per year for beginning and mid-year departures in 2018.
To be eligible to apply, you must be studying one or more of these languages:
Chinese, Cook Islands Maori, Vagahau Niue, Gagana Tokelau, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Gagana Samoa, Spanish.
And you must be:
- Be 16 or older when you are due to leave on the Award
- Be studying and apply for one of the languages above and be in year 11 or 12 in 2017
- Be studying that language at school and/or the Correspondence School
- Be a New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency (in accordance with Government funded programmes)
Costs of the programme, including travel, insurance and visas are covered by the Award, you will be responsible for spending money.
You must participate in all orientation processes offered. You must provide written reports for the Ministry of Education during the experience and upon return as required. After the programme is over, you will complete a series of evaluation reports and continue the experience by sharing your knowledge and skills within your school in New Zealand.
Submitting an application for the AFS exchange is NOT an application for an LIA, they are two separate applications.
For more information please contact Prue Elwood, Educator Programme Development on 04 903 2275 or email email@example.com
The Awards are funded by the Ministry of Education through the New Zealand Government’s Growth and Innovation Framework and support the development of language skills considered necessary for New Zealand to move toward a globally-connected economy. They also support the Government’s economic, social and cultural goals.